Wednesday, May 02, 2012

This one's for Shauna

Every now and then my posts become more like a log of events rather than a page in my personal journey. I was talking about this with my dear friend Shauna and so, in her honor, this one is all about me! It's about what Tara does these days... not Mom Tara or Wife Tara or Church Tara, but Tara Tara.
 I was recently commissioned to design the logo for the Nova Scotia Humane Society. So, when the house is clean and the kids are occupied, I'm sketching. I'm glad I still get commissioned every now and then to take pictures, paint, or design... makes me feel like I've still got "it". Long gone are the days when 100% of my thoughts were consumed with line, perspective, color, light, and theme. When I wasn't in class discussing art, I was rehearsing for Women's Chorus while thinking about art, or mopping the floors of the MARB and thinking about art, or being a docent at the Springville Museum of Art talking about art.
Now it seems like my thoughts are filled with numbers; how many hours of sleep I got last night, how many timeouts have we had so far today, how many cups of juice has Ethan downed, how long has it been since he's used the potty, how many hours until Jon gets home, how many more dishes can I fit in this load, how many weeks has it been since I've done anything with my hair besides pull it back, how much more money is left in the grocery budget this pay period, how much time is left in Jon's hockey game, how many hours has it been since I've had some form of chocolate...
 When the kids go down for their nap I immediately go to my happy place. I cuddle with my favorite purple pillow, drink frigid cold water from my camelback water bottle, apply an essential oil for relaxation and read my kindle or scriptures. If I don't get this time once a day, I am a very grumpy mommy.
 Lately it has been overcast and cold... I LOVE IT! Seriously, this is my favorite weather, always on the verge of rain, freshness in the air, cardigan weather. (Cardigan Weather happens to be a song by one of my favorite bands too.)
These are my newest babies, an herb garden and a pot of peas. I transplanted the herbs into one large pot... there have been some deaths, but hopefully what remains will grow in nice and strong. I was so excited when my two pea plants sprouted up, now I feel like it's just a waiting game until I actually see the fruit of my labors. Which brings me to the topic I've been avoiding this whole post... we're moving.
When we heard the news about a position opening up in the SLC office we were so stoked... then came the waiting game. Jon went from being told "the job is yours if you want it" to "well, legally we have to open in up to the public" and now we're just waiting and twiddling our thumbs to know if we're going to be moving in the next 1-2 months. I spend a lot of time looking at rental listings but it's frustrating to know you can't yet act on anything. And so, just like my pea plants, I'm waiting...

3 comments:

  1. Oh Tara! I didn't know they had done that to you-- I'm sorry! But I know you, and know how well you do everything. You'll be awesome, come what may. I love that you made this entry and love your thoughts. May the waiting game end soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Tara Tara and all the other ones too. This post was like the first spring rain, full of freshness and voice. I LOVED it! More! More! Can there be a Blogging Tara? :) Also, I love whatever you used to edit these pics- Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh Tara!! My nightstand looks exactly like yours! My camelback is orange, and my key chain is purple. Although, I tend to put it in a VERY high spot when the kids are awake, otherwise my 2 year year old will attempt to put oils all over her sister. I love the escape that oils give me. :)

    ReplyDelete