Tuesday, April 13, 2010

You are what you eat.

http://thisiswhyyourefat.com/

I came across this website the other day and was appalled. At the same time I was tempted by some of the food... completely grossed out by others. It really got me thinking about my eating habits, are they good or bad?

Good Habits:
1. Since we're so tight on cash, we never eat out. In the two months we've been here we've made a McDonald's trip, a Subway trip, a Starbuck's trip, and a local burger joint trip. And this was only possible because we got some unexpected funds that we automatically set aside to eat out. So because we don't eat out, I am not taking in high grease and sugar foods.
2. Since we're so tight on cash, my grocery buying habits have been forced to change. Since we have moved here I have not bought one sleeve of cookies or one candy bar. This is a huge step. In the past we would normally have one dessert item a day whether it was cookies and milk or a candy bar at night. Now, we never eat dessert food and I usually turn to a yogurt for a nightly sweet snack.

Not so Good Habits:
1. I seem to have some issues with my digestive system. This started when we were living in Nova Scotia. Every time we would eat out, especially fast food, I would have to spend the rest of the day on the toilet. (Not throwing up... the other thing.) I figured this was because I was in a different country (Ha, Canada) and wasn't used to maybe the different cooking oils or foods I was eating. But it has carried on here as well. I can't eat out. No matter what it is, even Subway, I have a horrible night because of it. I have also noticed that this happens when I have any home-cooked food that has any kind of fat in it. Like the other night I wasn't really up for cooking and so made some mac-n-cheese, bad idea. Last night I made breakfast for dinner and used no butter and no cheese and it still happened. The only foods that my stomach really handles well now are low-fat, low-carb, foods. So I am stuck to a bowl of cereal in the morning, a tuna sandwich and yogurt at lunch, and snacking on fresh fruits and veggies all night. This may sound like a good thing, but I'm not feeling very healthy and I'm in a lot of pain when my stomach is so sensitive.
2. Lack of exercise. I am at home all day everyday. I sit on my butt and play with Ethan, I sit on my butt and play on the computer, I sit on my butt and read. I occasionally take Ethan on a walk to the park, but that's about it. I don't feel fat and I don't certainly look fat but my muscles, except for my left arm from holding Ethan, are gone.

In other news, Ethan and I have our first doctors appointments this week. Ethan is behind on his vaccinations and I'm excited to see just how much he weighs! I'm seeing the OBGYN and I'm a little nervous about it for several reasons. 1. I'm not sure if I'm pregnant, I don't look pregnant and I don't feel pregnant. It's also emotional... I just don't think things are right in there... so I'm anxious to find out exactly what's going on in that department. 2. I have been talking to newly made friends about their experiences with OBGYNs in this area and I'm sad to say that it's all been negative. Doctors that treat you like trash and can't understand why in the world you would want to be pregnant, have kids so close together and be so young. Doctors that yell at their staff. And if it turns out that I'm pregnant with a non-growing fetus and need to go through all that drama, I'm scared of the doctor's lack of sensitivity and how that's going to affect my oh so fragile emotional state.

No comments:

Post a Comment